Wednesday, May 22, 2013

No rush, no fuss.

Let's just put this out there, I've re-begun this blog several times. Not because I can't think of anything to talk about, psshh, only an idiot would think that in these shoes. It's that I can not decide how to hash these things out into words. I take these photos, which I love taking and then edit, or something small yet significant stands out, and so many thoughts, topics, words, and verses flood into my head that I think would be so cool to put into this. So this is my first real attempt to tell you these experiences like a story.

We arrived Saturday after a grueling all day flight experience that Friday and a three hour nap in the Lima airport. I don't thing any of us left the hunched over exhausted sleeping position. I just know I jerked worse than I ever have in sleep, and scared the girl next to me like no other.  

Anyways, we arrived in Piura, Peru at 6:30 in the morning and didn't miss a beat after that. John Mark Davidson picked us up and took us to his house. There he introduced us to his family and the summer that we were about to begin. His wife's name is Tara, and his four kids are Kellen, Parker, Case and Mack. I don't believe we could be spending the summer with better people or a better family. The rest of the day included basketball with Peruvians, short naps, and a friendly tour of Piura from local brothers, Sebastian and Nicholas. After an incredible dinner at the locally famous restaurant, Cappuccino, consisting of much ceviche and raw horse meat, we all slept like we were drugged. 


A small side note about the culture about Peru, or at least Piura and the surrounding northern areas. John Mark told us the standing motto  "No rush, no fuss." This has got to be one of the most chill places I've been. It's as if the relaxed surf culture originated here. Typically it is normal for someone to be a few hours late to an engagement, meeting, business transaction, there's no exceptions to the chill rule. More culture notes to come.

Sunday we attended a local church in Piura, which I am having trouble recalling the name of. What an experience it was! We walked in and the not all knowing mind I possess had the thought, "This is a pretty good size, area and number wise, for a non-catholic church in Peru." Sitting down close to the back with only a few songs to go before the preaching ensued, we took in the sight with wide eyes. I really could not stop smiling. "Gracias Senor," a short elderly woman spoke loudly after she heard something that was spiritually significant. Those words are equivalent to the loud "Amen!" that is pronounced in your church back home. I think I like the one spoken here more. 

Once the preaching started, I looked at Case and was met with the same face, we only understand maybe every other word that this guy spoke. The easy part though was following along with the verses. What we could count on was the "Gracias Senor!" from the back row. Gracias Senor: Thank you Lord. Yes, thank you Lord, so much for this. It's cool how God is the same always and forever, here and in the States. No circumstance can change him. Gracias Senor. 

The events remaining in the day included some good time spent with the Davidsons and a huge barbecue at a locals house.

One morning John Mark took us to the mercado (market) in Piura. Talk about a happening place. We snaked our way through people, booths, and animals (dead and alive). If I need anything at all, I know exactly where to go. I gotta say that I am excited about going back and bartering with some of the vendors. The entire area is close to the size of a football stadium, like it could be it's own small town or huge neighborhood. There should be names for each of the "streets" that run through it. If you never hear from me again, know I'm lost in adventures in the Piura market.

As we neared the end of our tour of the market, a small rain began to fall from the overcast skies. And that smell that always comes from a needed rain floated in. I love this smell. There probably isn't a better one. The coolest aspect about it though, is that the smell is independent. The smell is constant, pure, and does not change regardless of temperature, altitude, or location. If I could have favorite parts of nature, this part has to be one. "Gracias Senor!" Thank you Father, for making nature the way you did. For making it in a way, so that when we look around, we can hear you whispering "I love you." For placing it around us to remind of that everything  is solely here for your purpose, and that you never change. That you are always faithful. "Gracias Senor." 

Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear; what can man do to me?" Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.   -Hebrews 13: 5-8




2 comments:

  1. Gracius Senior. I love that. God is the same everywhere and whereever we are we are never alone. I praise Him for that! Love you boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so encouraged bro...gracias senor. need you to remind me of that a lot. thanks will.

    ReplyDelete