Thursday, May 16, 2013

In the beginning... was this post

Hey there. If you don't know me already, my name is Will. I attend Texas A&M as a senior in the fall and will hopefully receive my degree in International Studies. The main reason for the creating of a blog is that I am traveling to Peru this summer. I leave tomorrow actually, May 17th, out of Houston and will return July 30th. This is my first attempt at a blog and a blog post, and I'm not the writer that I tend to think I am occasionally, so bear with me.

This blog idea came up, actually this whole trip idea came up last fall. For the major I am pursuing I have to study a language, Spanish, and then study abroad for a period of time lasting at least ten weeks in a country that speaks the studied language. I began talking around because I wasn't sure what or when I was going to do this thing. All I knew was that I didn't want to sit in a classroom while I was abroad, and that I wanted the trip to be more than the typical time spent by an individual that went overseas. So time went by and I talked some more about it, and finally something came up. My college minister, Kelly Davidson, told me of a great option involving his son John Mark Davidson, who has been living as a missionary in Peru. He and a team had been working in the capitol, Lima, for quite some time. Turns out though, that he had heard of the huge opportunity to help a community in need further up north, in the rural mango farming community of Tambo Grande. I found out through Kelly that he was going to be needing help with the projects that they would be installing in the near future. 

So to cut through all the details, it all worked out! The trip passed through the International Studies and Study Abroad Departments luckily and now I get to go do a mission trip on my school's time! How about that? I couldn't tell the people working in the offices, except for my adviser in which our relationship is more of a friendship, that this was a mission trip with evangelical purposes rather than a study abroad/internship. So they think this summer I have an internship, which I really do I wouldn't lie, I am receiving at least three credit hours for "interning". But truthfully this summer is an evangelical, faith filled, Christ centered, community outreach trip made up of myself and two others that are on a dominant and bold mission. That mission being serving these people, their community, in so many ways.

Now I'm not gonna tell you everything that we are going to be doing yet. I want all of you to continue reading in the future, and I have to have other blog posts too. Let's just say this summer is going to be an adventure. I hope you keep reading my slapped together words throughout this summer (and later on if I decide to keep this thing). Thank you for even reading this one. I'm nothing special, my name is Will. The only good thing about me or the only thing that makes me good in any way or give me any worth is Christ. Yes, I believe that He is the Son of God. No, I know it. 

I can not wait to share more, and tell you of the experiences that are to be had in Tambo Grande, Peru. Have patience with me as I try to put words to some of these unspeakable experiences. Thanks and hasta luego, or whatever...

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to future posts. Thanks for setting up this blog so that we can share the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Post!! I am a fan! Looking forward to reading more and seeing pictures.

    ReplyDelete