Saturday, July 27, 2013

The last of the filters

It feels like we haven't stopped for quite some time, with the constant moving and travelling and train catching and bus riding and hiking. It has been a very full few weeks leading up to the remaining days of our time here. So right now I don't even know where to begin, with the end.
 
Close to a week after my last blog post and visit to Canchaque, we were joined by the group of Aggies that spent ten days with us in Piura and Tambogrande before they went to Lima. Reid, Andrew, Kailee, and Riley are wonderful people, working very hard right now as you read this with families from the states that planted a church in Lima. They worked their tails off with us in the fields and distributing water filters to families in Malingas.

That brings me to the filters. All in all, there were close to 45 filters put into homes and a school in that village. One of the last nights that we were going into their homes and installing them, we went kinda nuts and ended up staying till 8:30/9 at night just darting from house to house, lugging around these bucket filters and talking to the families. All of it could not have been done without the sweet woman that allowed us to put in the first one, Mary. She was going just as crazy as us, pulling us along, yelping with joy in Spanish at every house visited. Mary, thank you, I doubt you ever read this, but that is okay. What you did and how you helped was big, we could not have done anything compared to what happened without you. Bless you.


Before leaving for this ten week journey, I would have thought 45 filters was a small number, that more could have been done, and that more should have been done. But now after spending this time in Peru, where everything seems to run on lazy gear, or even in reverse, I'm happy this happened. I'm not proud of myself or the others with me, that would be terribly wrong. Shoot, looking back we could have done more. I think anyone looking back on a similar experience would say the same. I'm thankful I was there to see the faces of the families and the children, that those relationships were made, that I got to see such beauty in the people and in the creation. I feel blessed. Eucharisto. 


3 comments:

  1. Maybe its not just Canchaque that runs in lazy or even reverse gear. I see that in Asia....and in my own life in Abilene more often than I would like to admit. Thank you for the past 9 weeks of encouragement that has helped me shift gears and get on down the road. I know Mary and the others you have served feel the same way.
    Via con Dios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Larry says it best, Will - we all run in lazy and even in reverse so often...thank you Jesus for your grace. Thank you Will for loving us all enough to write and challenge us a bit...Eucharisteo brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thankful for you and proud. Not just of your heart but proud of the Kingdom work and in the name of Jesus work you guys have done. Yes, Eucharisteo!

    ReplyDelete